WW2 Civil Defence & ARP First Aid Equipment
A core aspect of the Civil Defence Service was to provide immediate medical assistance to victims of bombing. The main deliverers of onsite medical care were the First Aid Parties who carried medical supplies in haversacks. Casualties were then transported by Stretcher Parties to First Aid Posts or Mobile Units and then transferred to hospital by the Ambulance Service.
All Wardens' Posts were also issued with first aid tins and the trouser pockets on battledress were designed to hold a single "First Field Dressing".
First Aid boxes
All Wardens' Posts would be allocated a first aid box that contained the necessary supplies to deal with wounds until an ambulance was available. There are some boxes marked with "Light Rescue".
A large variety of first aid kits were sold to the general public. These came in varying sizes in both metal and cardboard containers. A lot were produced by Boots the Chemist. Minimax and Paragon manufactured kits for both the general public and the Civil Defence services,
A number of canvas haversacks were issued to First Aid Parties and First Aid Posts. Some were quite small (often labelled as 'Pouches' and limited to the bare essentials. Others were much larger and could carry sufficient articles to deal with most eventualities.
ARP Water Bottle
Specially manufactured water bottles (marked HBS Ltd ) and with ARP impressed on the top were issued to CD personnel with a canvas strap. Leather straps were normally used on water bottles issued by the St. John Ambulance Brigade but it is more than likely some were used by Civil Defence personnel.
A private purchase penknife featuring a blade and marlin spike was manufactured by two companies early in the war. The DCC (Devonport Cutlery Company) and GG&S (George Gill & Sons) marked penknives are 1939 dated. They included an integral loop to attach the penknife to a lanyard or belt.