WW2 Civil Defence War Service Chevrons
Introduced in February 1944, war service chevrons, which were identical to those awarded to army personnel, were worn on the lower right sleeve of the civil defence jackets. Each red chevron denoted 12 months' service in the Civil Defence services since hostilities began on September 3, 1939.
The red on dark navy blue chevrons were available as a printed badge - from a single chevron to a group of four. The apex of the chevrons point up and a maximum number of five could be worn.
Below is a comparison of the two different colour backings on the chevrons as outlined in ARP Memorandum 11. For wear on the gabardine coat (ARP Pattern 81) is the blue-grey (on the left) and the navy blue (on the right).
There are some period photographs of individuals wearing the service chevron on the left sleeve and with the chevron points pointing down.