As the below photo shows, the simple Anderson shelter was to save many lives during the second world war. Designed in 1938 and named after Sir John Anderson, the shelter could hold six people. The simple construction had six corrugated steel roof panels with corrugated steel panels to the sides and ends. One end provided the entrance. Shelters were 6' high by 4½' wide by 6½' long. Buried 4' into the ground the roof was then covered in 15" of soil. For families with an income of less than £250 the shelters were free. For others the cost was £7. Over 3.5 million Anderson shelters were manufactured prior to and during the war.
News about interesting insignia, ARP related info and period photos that turn up.