Published between January 1940 and late 1945, the ARP & AFS Review was a monthly magazine for members of the ARP, Civil Defence, Fire Guard and fire services. The magazine covered various topics; the release of Ministry of Home Security booklets, civil defence discussions in parliament, to issues of the organisation of the civil defence services. The magazine's editor was Peter Hunot, whose archive resides at the Bishopsgate Institute in London
The magazine also incorporated a section called "Wardens News" the "Official Organ of the National Association of Air Raid Wardens". This updated wardens of various civil defence-related bulletins, circulars and booklets that had been issued by the Ministry of Home Security (as well as corrections to those previously published). In April 1941 the magazine added the sub-heading "The Civil Defence Journal" and from November 1941 the title of the magazine became "ARP & NFS Review" following the changes made to the fire services in August of the same year.
The magazine continued to be printed but the size was reduced slightly later in the war due to paper rationing. Though the threat from Luftwaffe bombing raids began to recede in the middle of the war, the magazine covered the introduction and effects of the V-weapons from June 1944.
By the end of hostilities in Europe in May 1945, the magazine was titled "ARP & NFS Review - Industrial and Civic Welfare". The magazine continued into late 1945 and was retitled as "Welfare - The Journal of Industrial and Social Progress" but subscriptions dwindled and the publication ceased printing.
For historians, collectors and those interested in wartime civil defence, the magazines provide a valuable trove of information. The Imperial War Museum in London holds bound copies of every issue.
Please support this website's running costs and keep it advert free