The deep-level shelter located at Clapham North on the Northern Line was one of ten deep shelters planned in London during the war (of which eight were completed). Built by Kinnear, Moodie & Nutall, the shelter consisted of two parallel 5m circular tunnels, 365m in length and the shelter opened in November 1942.
Access was through two main surface entrances (northern entrance was located at 400 Clapham Road and the southern entrance at Bedford Road) that connected via spiral staircases to each end of the twin tunnels. A lift was built within each staircase which was used by the elderly and also for shelter supplies. Access via a stairway from the existing underground station was also made.
The twin tunnels were split into 16 sections (all named after famous authors) and linked by five passages. Each section, lined with bunks, could house approximately 500 people with a total of 8,000 being accommodated. Also constructed were toilets, canteens, first aid posts, generator/ventilation rooms and a control room. The shelters were connected to the main sewage network.
As bombing of London eased, troops were billeted in the shelters but with the V-weapon attacks starting in the summer of 1944, the shelters were opened again to the public using the ticket shown below. The shelter permanently closed in October 1944.
Please support this website's running costs and keep it advert free