In 1936 the Civilian Anti Gas School (CAGS) was opened at Eastwood Park. Here people were trained to deal with various poison gases thought likely to be dropped in the event of war. During the second world war it became The Ministry of Home Security Air Raid Precautions School. Those that successfully passed the courses offered here gained an instructor's badge.
Post war the institution became a police training school and then in 1949 it reverted to a Civil Defence School.